Thursday, April 21, 2011

Powell Peralta Ripper Mini - Review

well not really a review. more like a "man i wanna own this and hang it on my wall" thing.

Actually there is more to this desire of mine.

The day my parents bought me my very first "proper" American pro deck was a day I will never forget. We drove to Burke's cycles in kilburne and I was so beside myself that I was gonna get to choose any deck I wanted off what seemed like a huge wall of colourful master pieces.

For some reason my choice came down very quickly to two. Contestant one was a Powell-Peralta Ripper in pink and white stripes (the deck that this mini is based on) and a Sims Pharaoh in a beautiful green/blue stain with the gold screen printing (not the yellow version).

I was leaning toward the Powell and at the time I didn't know a thing about either company I was choosing on raw looks and feel alone. Then two things happened: a/ my Dad didn't really like the skull graphic (and still doesn't like skulls etc to this day) and b/ the sales guy told me that they had sold heaps of the rippers.
I guess to most kids (I was 12 or 13) that would have made them buy the Powell but it did the exact opposite to me.

I was into skating BECAUSE no one else was....I didn't wanna be like everyone else so I bought the Sims.

Now to anyone who knows anything about vintage 80s skate decks you will know that I did the right thing as I am one of the very very few people who can claim to have owned a Pharoah, a board that is amoung the most rare and most expensive to get in mint condition today. (don't ask me what I did with mine...I don't like talking about it! lol)

However I have always had a soft spot for the classic striped Ripper and this Mini would become a cherished part of my collection.

next payday I think...